For centuries, asparagus was considered a luxury. So imagine my excitement when I saw Ontario asparagus being sold at my local fruit/veg stand — two for $6. According to Foodland Ontario, when buying asparagus, look for straight, crisp spears with green or purple tips with tight heads. At home, wrap the ends with damp paper towel and cover the bunch with plastic wrap.
When you’re ready to enjoy, wash in cold running water to get rid of any dirt. Then snap off the woody ends. The stalks break at just the right point. More storage and prep info.
Here are five delicious ways to enjoy this seasonal green:
1) Top pizza with 1-inch pieces of asparagus. Add blue cheese, Asiago or smoked Gruyere/Gouda.
2) Saute with shrimp, flavoured with lemon juice and garlic. Serve over whole grain pasta. Add wisps of shaved Parmesan.
3) Saute with mushrooms and fold into an easy omelette.
4) Roast in a 400F oven for 20 minutes (turning halfway). Toss with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and black pepper to taste. Drizzle balsamic vinegar when done.
5) Blanch for 1-2 minutes. Toss with rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil/canola mix and chili flakes (optional). Grill on the BBQ, medium-high heat until tender (5-7 minutes).